Mourning in America
By Penny Okamoto, Executive Director of Ceasefire Oregon
Sometimes we just need to stop so we can mourn. We need to stop so we can try to fully understand what has happened in our communities, our country, our lives. We need to somehow try to absorb the enormity of one act. Then two. Then a dozen. Then…?
Then we pick up our work again and move forward.
The key word is “we.” Because it’s not just one person who makes big changes. It’s many of us working together. You are not alone. We have your back. Other people, other groups and so many strong friends have our backs. We move forward together.
If you need a break, you can catch up when you are ready. We’ll be here.
But if you are ready to work, if action is what you need, then we have work for you.
Here’s your list for today.
- Call your federal legislators. If you are an Oregonian, their phone numbers are listed below. If you are not, find them here or call the Congressional Switchboard at 202-224-3121.
- Tell your legislators you want meaningful and effective laws to cut gun violence. Tell them you want them to support:
3411 Fix Gun Checks Act, sponsored by Rep. Jackie Speier (D-CA)
- H.R. 4269 Assault Weapons Ban, sponsored by Rep. David Cicilline (D-RI)
- H.R. 1076 Denying Firearms and Explosives to Dangerous Terrorists Act, sponsored by Rep. Peter King (R-NY)
- For more information about the active federal bills, visit our beautiful new website. (Thanks to Cloud Four!)
- Share this information with your friends and family.
- Call your friends in Baton Rouge or Minnesota or Orlando or Dallas and see if they need help.
Working together, we’ll get through this and we will make the changes our country needs to put an end to bloodshed and violence.
Thank you for your voice and your work.
Oregon’s Congressional Delegation:
Congresswoman Suzanne Bonamici: (503) 469-6010. (She’s a great gun violence prevention champion!)
Congressman Earl Blumenauer: (503) 231-2300. (Read his great plan to cut gun violence.)
Congressman Peter DeFazio: (541) 465-6732. (It was great to see Congressman DeFazio at the House Floor sit-in.)
Congressman Kurt Schraeder: (503) 557-1324. (Listen to his KPAM interview in support of universal background checks.)
Congressman Greg Walden: (541) 389-4408. (Where’s Walden on this issue?? Ask him!)