Governor Kate Brown’s Call to Action
By Penny Okamoto, Executive Director of Ceasefire Oregon
Ceasefire Oregon applauds Governor Brown’s call to action to end gun violence and is proud to be part of Oregonians United to End Gun Violence.
Governor Brown’s call to action includes:
- Prohibiting purchases of extended-capacity magazines. This type of ammunition enables shooters to fire 10, 30 or even 50 bullets before stopping to reload the gun.
- Expanding the types of relationships that qualify under domestic violence by closing the “boyfriend loophole.” This legislation will ensure that people convicted of certain domestic violence and stalking crimes will no longer have access to firearms.
- Closing the Charleston loophole so individuals who should not own a gun are not able to buy one simply because authorities were unable to complete a background check in a few days.
- Strengthening existing law through executive order to give law enforcement the tools needed to track and analyze gun transactions.
- Establishing a work group to review and assess firearms-related domestic violence offenses.
- Directing the Oregon Health Authority, through executive action, to report annually on gun violence, its effect of public health and to recommend policies to reduce gun violence in Oregon.
In addition, Governor Brown calls upon Congress to end gun violence by:
- Banning assault weapons and extended-capacity magazines. (S. 4269)
- Strengthening anti-terrorist legislation so individuals on the FBI’s watch list are prohibited from purchasing a firearm in the United States. (H.R. 1076)
Governor Brown’s actions are strong, positive steps we can take to stop the gun violence that we witness daily. Please call her office now at (503) 378-4582 to thank her.
To stay up to date on the Governor’s actions and to learn what you can do to stop gun violence, sign up for alerts our website at ceasefireoregon.org and encourage your friends to do the same.
Working together, we can put an end to the scourge of gun violence.
Ceasefire Oregon Board of Directors